Thursday, May 17, 2012

It's Not My Fault You Hate Your Job

One of my biggest pet peeves is when employees are just plain rude. I worked in a customer-oriented field for a few years and I know how big of a difference a smile can make. I also know how big of a impact a bad attitude will make.

Today I walked into Plato's closet and unfortunately had to deal with a stuck-up miserable girl about my age. I tried to kill her with kindness but the death glares kept on coming every time I spoke. The girl behind her realized how rude she was being and immediately stepped in and started talking to me.

Everybody has bad days and I know how hard it can be to hide it. However, when you're in the retail or food business, attitude is everything. I looked at a job today for mystery shopping and my experience became pretty ironic. If I didn't have such a hard time being mean to other people, I probably could've written a pretty nasty but accurate review of my service today.

I'm not asking for everyone to be happy constantly but a smile never hurt anyone. I know that when I forced myself to smile and positively interact with customers as a hostess, I automatically put myself into a good mood. Mind over matter people! Nobody has to be miserable; happiness is a choice.

Took this in a museum in NYC a few years ago. If this doesn't make me want to be happy, I don't know what else could.

No comments:

Post a Comment