Monday, May 7, 2012

No Motivation = Procrastination

Every since I learned what homework was I didn't feel like doing it. This is a pretty normal statement for the average person. I haven't ever met one person that has told me they like homework because well, that's just absurd. However, I do like to learn. So what's the difference?

My main philosophy in life is following and interpreting my instincts. When it comes down to it, my instincts tell me that reading a book and doing a 7pg essay isn't going to really help me remember all of this information and the morals behind it.

The conclusion that this makes me draw is that I'm learning in the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I love school and I love having teachers that are, mostly, there to help guide me to learn and grow. But, I can't help thinking that the way schooling is set up in the modern world is just unnatural. For example, scheduling classes at 8am is just plain dumb. Religion is one of those things that never stops fascinating me but at 8am I could care less. That example might be a little more shallow than the rest of them but you get the point.

It seems as though the Department of Education just decides that a certain amount of information should be given to the student and whatever they retain will determine how successful they are. Sometimes I feel like the information I'm required to learn and the courses I have to take are similar to things that I keep just because I feel like I should. I know I'll probably never use them or remember that they're there but it just seems right to be within my reach.

Every person should be able to learn what they want and how they want. I hope that one day schooling will be less dreadful and more fufilling. I think the way college is set up goes in the direction of this idea but I'm still sitting here writing this blog instead of that 7pg paper...oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment