Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Tobacco Trend

Today I had a conversation with a good friend of mine about hookah. This friend doesn't smoke cigarettes and, like me, is repulsed when people do.

She asked me why I won't try hookah after I told her that I was asked to do it tonight while hanging out with an old friend. I replied, "because I don't smoke tobacco." She looked puzzled and I proceeded to ask her what she thought was smoked in a hookah. She answered, "well it's a healthier plant kinda like marijuana but not and its legal, right?"

It really astounds me when people just jump right into whatever fad is trending without really contemplating it. The friend I was speaking of is a pretty smart girl usually and HAS smoked hookah before. I don't know about other health conscious or aware people, but I would never smoke anything before I knew what it really was. 

In fact, I researched into it a little more today and found that smoking out of a hookah is indeed worse than smoking cigarettes. Since there is no filter in a hookah the carbon monoxide, nicotine and other harmful substances are directly admitted into the body. No thanks...I'd like to live a long life.

To each their own, though. I don't try to judge other people's lifestyles because we all sin differently but I just thought it was interesting how little people care to know about what they're opening their body to.

If you want some more info on hookah I really liked this wesbite and it's reliable: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265.

No comments:

Post a Comment