Wednesday, May 9, 2012

They're the Reason You're ALIVE

I've always been the sentimental kind of person. I try to make sure that everybody close to me knows how important they are and that I wouldn't be the same without them. My obsession with photography revolves around this and the desire to concrete every emotion, experience and event in my life.

For those of you that don't know, my dad passed away on April 3rd, 2008. There's not too much that I can say to help someone else understand the connection we had and the part of me that was lost when we lost the true him back in January of 2007. I was too young to understand what a wonderful person was right next to me every day for 15 years and how much he really meant to me.

"Perfection Wasted"

And another regrettable thing about death
is the ceasing of your own brand of magic,
which took a whole life to develop and market --
the quips, the witticisms, the slant
adjusted to a few, those loved ones nearest
the lip of the stage, their soft faces blanched
in the footlight glow, their laughter close to tears,
their tears confused with their diamond earrings,
their warm pooled breath in and out with your heartbeat,
their response and your performance twinned.
The jokes over the phone. The memories
packed in the rapid-access file. The whole act.
Who will do it again? That's it: no one;
imitators and descendants aren't the same.

John Updike

It's that time of the year at Canisius College when seeing boxes, totes and various electronics coming off the elevator families at a time is a normal occurence. Every day since last week I've witnessed someone my age be so rude, disrespectful and  unappreciative to their parents who are only here to help. No, I don't know their situation just as they don't know mine so maybe this is a little judgemental of me but it derives from a lot of experiences of people taking advantage of their parents.

For once think not about the money, clothes, technology and other materialistic things they have or haven't bought you and focus on their love and commitment. I'm not saying every parent is perfect, they're human too, I just like to recognize the parents that will do anything and everything in their power to love and support their child. It may not seem like they always do the right thing or try to understand you but that doesn't mean they don't care.

This post goes out to my Mom who I know tries so hard to be the best she can be for her children. I don't tell her enough but I need her more than she thinks. We haven't had the perfect relationship (who has?) but we both have an understanding that no matter what we're always there for each other.

We're all children of someone. For those who still can, appreciate. For those who can't, teach.
Because,
A tree cannot grow without roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment